The Château de Faing is a good instance of rehabilitation


This week’s discovery of our heritage takes you to the south of the province of Luxembourg, within the city of Gaume in Chiny, crossed by Simois and giving it a country attraction.

By Frédéric Marchesani / Images Man Focant

Close to the river, within the coronary heart of the village of Jamoigne, is an imposing neo-Gothic citadel from the top of the nineteenth century. It bears the identify of the previous mansion of Faing, so named as a result of it was constructed on a muddy floor. It’s in truth the fourth identified fortress of the realm.

Maybe the primary stately home, courting from the Carolingian interval (ninth century), was situated on a hill on the positioning of the current church. Within the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, the interval which witnessed the actual delivery of Jamuen with a marked enhance within the inhabitants and the constructing of the church, a second citadel was constructed on the current website.

Faing masters had been very highly effective at the moment: Hugues du Faing was appointed commander of the armies of Charles the Daring in 1473, after which governor of the Duchy of Luxembourg. His eldest son, Henri de Vaing, welcomed the well-known Nostradamus into his residence in 1539, who stayed for some time in Orval.

The coat of arms of Depend Fernand de Luin de Enschede seems above the doorway. © Jay Vukant

The citadel was taken and demolished in 1558, and the citadel was rebuilt and adorned by Gilles de Vaing in the beginning of the seventeenth century. Gilles is the main determine in his line: Chancellor after which ambassador to Archdukes Albert and Isabella, rulers of the Spanish Netherlands, as he makes an attempt to show the the Aristocracy of his origins and obtains from the King of Spain the title of Baron in 1623.

His grandsons Charles Philip and Alexander George ceded the property, however after the latter’s demise with out problem in 1709, the king’s pledge was drawn up. After a number of modifications of possession, the citadel was bought in 1872 by Depend Fernand de Luin de Enschede, already identified within the space for his acquisition of Orval property and have become mayor after which senator. The Depend undertook to radically rework the constructing: he employed Ghent architect Peter van Kerkhoven and demolished the previous constructing to rebuild a brand new constructing within the neo-Gothic fashion. Nevertheless, because of monetary issues, the positioning was discontinued and the property bought. The brand new homeowners full the work.

Learn additionally > Cells: Welcome to this actual fairytale citadel

Spacious, spacious and chic, the citadel is a serious witness to neo-Gothic structure in our area. Pushed by the romanticism and nationalism of the rising nations of the nineteenth century, this fashion present in Medieval Gothic an indication of grouping and id. The economic revolution, which led to the mass manufacturing and popularization of constructing supplies, facilitated the emergence of neo-Gothic, which then appeared with a variable profusion and an important diffusion of assets.

The raven, the symbol of the builder of the citadel, is on the ground tiles of the doorway corridor. © Jay Vukant

It’s simple that the Château du Faing is a selected consultant of this structure, which presents a model of which has been studied because it has been refined. It consists of three wings organized in a U-shape, and has 4 spherical towers within the nook, together with the southeast tower which is distinguished by its dimension, cover and ornamentation. Three colours prevail: the ocher of the polished facades with lime, the sunshine grey of the stone (the raised base, the horizontal bars, the body of the openings and the helps of the openings … plus harmoniously chosen carpentry paint) and the blue panels are restored on notably elegant surfaces (the panels performed and organized to create patterns), has additionally been restored. Gold crowns and climate vanes give the completion to the entire. The ornamental components come from neo-Gothic vocabulary: the Flemish-influenced stepped gables, using the pointed arch, the excessive and slim bays adorned with three folios, the watchtower …

Inside, too, there’s a neo-Gothic fashion: large ceilings and oak panels with triangular or serviette ornament within the listed rooms, imposing ceremonial fireplaces of free stone adorned with coats of arms … are already in every single place within the citadel, extra particularly on the tiles, With a black crow from his private arms.

Learn additionally> Modave: Fort of the Counts of Marchin, legacy of a medieval citadel

The large fireplaces are adorned in a sublime neo-Gothic fashion. © Jay Vukant

Within the twentieth century, the citadel handed successively from the Group of Sisters of Charity in Besançon to an affiliation, after which, in 1975, to the municipality of Chény. Then it included a nursing residence. Château du Faing was categorised as a monument (facades, roofs, corridor, workplace, two galleries, gate, stays of the perimeter wall, body of the barn) and as a website (chestnut alleys, citadel courtyard, surrounding lawns), with the safety zone established on 18 February 1997.

Uninhabited from 2001, the monument was progressively deteriorated, earlier than the event of the undertaking re-commissioning. The citadel then benefited from a serious restoration undertaking in two installments, carried out between March 2010 and July 2012. The primary section targeted primarily on the outside of the constructing, which was broken by water seepage and suffers from stability issues. The roofs have been fully restored: heavy however native work on the frames, the substitute of panels in line with the unique methods and designs, the standardization and restoration of the woodwork for the skylights, the restoration of the grooves and climate vanes. Some objects had been dismantled to be repaired whereas others had been equally rebuilt. The constructing has restored a transparent, luminous paint that creates a stupendous concord. Inside, most unique components have been left in place, together with heavy-duty painted forged iron heaters and ultra-sleek doorways.

Due to regional subsidies, the Château du Faing was rehabilitated into an area administration home (the city corridor in two wings, and the Normal Heart for Social Work within the third ward). The previous outbuildings home the municipal library, the Artists’ Home, the native employment company and the police on website. The venue, the flagship of the town, has develop into a real instance of restoration and heritage reallocation.

Wooden, from the ceilings to the wall paneling, is ubiquitous within the citadel. © Jay Vukant


The citadel has been repurposed for administration wants, and the citadel can solely be visited by reservation, by contacting the Jamuen Tourism Workplace at +32 (0) 61 32 02 72.

reminiscence responsibility

In 1914, to take care of the implications of the horrible Battle of Rusiñol, the citadel was transformed right into a warfare infirmary. Positioned within the neighboring city of Tintigny, the village was already the scene of main battles on August 22, 1914. It took 12,000 casualties (useless, wounded, or prisoners) within the Allied camp.

The Château du Faing is also referred to as a refuge, between 1943 and 1945, for 87 Jewish youngsters, enabling them to flee deportation. They mingled, underneath pseudonyms, with the younger males residing within the residence of Queen Elizabeth. In 1998, 9 former workers had been honored by the State of Israel and Yad Vashem as Righteous Among the many Nations. Within the citadel, the province of Luxembourg additionally needed to pay tribute to them. A tall statue of Mary Paul Hare, representing the Tree of Life and evoking this episode, has been put in within the backyard.

Leave a Comment